This morning I was laying in bed debating between walking down the street to buy a smoothie from my favorite place on the corner or making one in my kitchen – both sounded like a lot of effort. It’s one of those days. Both also sounded like a lot of liquid for my tummy to handle this morning, since it is a little upset from a rather oily dinner out last night.
Then I decided, screw it; I’m making a parfait. It’s not like I never make parfaits. I usually make them for an afternoon snack every couple of days… I mean, they’re delectable and full of nutrition, so why not? But I rarely break my green smoothie breakfast pattern. For someone who can also be so spontaneous I certainly am a creature of habit.
After my parfait realization in bed I started getting excited and brainstorming ingredients. I knew I had leftover strawberry raspberry oats from yesterday, two really awesome granolas that I bought at Westside Market, lots of fruit, almond yogurt, nuts, almond butter, pomegranate seeds, cacao nibs… I don’t mess around when it comes to breakfast. My layering gets wild.
The really cool thing about parfaits is that the preparation and clean up is nothing compared to making smoothies, so essentially they are the perfect “fast food” breakfast – minus the processed junk and fatty ingredients. Nothin’ better than a good healthy fast food breakfast.
The layers in this parfait were BOMB. Berry oats on the bottom layered with sliced strawberries and peaches, almond yogurt and almond butter, pumpkin spice granola, cacao crunch cereal, sliced fresh figs, cacao nibs and a drizzle of honey.
The cacao nibs give a great bitter crunch in contrast with the sweeter fruits and granolas, while the almond butter and yogurt give the distinct creaminess that makes a parfait stand alone in the deliciousness category. The oats add a nice touch, especially with the fruit mixed in, since they are full of nutrients and add a little something extra to the typical breakfast parfait, which some people fear is not going to be filling enough.
Another cool thing about the parfait life? I can have one of my beloved smoothies later on today since I didn’t have one this morning… ca-ching! (Sometimes I try having two in one day and my digestive system starts hating me a little bit.)
I finished it all too quickly, and truth be told I’m still drooling over it.
– ½ cup boiled oils
– 6 strawberries
– 5 raspberries
– ½ ripe peach
– 1 small spoonful almond butter
– ¼ cup plain almond yogurt (or yogurt of your choice. I also like coconut yogurt)
– ¼ cup pumpkin spice granola (or any granola of choice)
– ½ cup cacao crunch cereal
– 2 fresh figs
– 1 small spoonful cacao nibs
– 1 small drizzle honey or agave
- Boil the oats in 1 cup water. Once boiled, blend them with 4 strawberries and the 5 raspberries. Once blended, pour into the bottom of a glass or jar.
- Slice the remaining 2 strawberries and the peach, and layer into the glass on top of the oats.
- Scoop out one small spoonful of almond butter and layer it in.
- Top the almond butter with the almond yogurt.
- Pour in the granolas and top it with figs, cacao nibs and the drizzle of honey.
- Pop a spoon into the parfait and enjoy!
Lastly… I was so thrilled by this yummy parfait breakfast that I think I want to instate “Parfait Thursdays” on my blog. I will have people send me their favorite parfait photos throughout the week, and then I will choose my favorite recipes to replicate and feature. Thoughts?! I’m all about it.