After telling myself I would drink a green juice for breakfast each day this week, I woke up this morning with an intense craving for oatmeal. And not just regular oatmeal – a rich, creamy, chocolatey, almond buttery, protein-packed oatmeal.
I think this craving surfaced because of how a-m-a-z-i-n-g the Pumpkin Almond Butter Oatmeal Bars were that I made earlier this week. Sure, I still have a few bars left in the refrigerator, but I thought it made sense to create something new and entirely breakfasty this morning. (And so I can make those slices of heaven last for as long as possible. Duh.)
Plus, I was up early and had to fulfill my cooking addiction somehow!
And I’m so glad I did, because this breakfast was so worth it. It also kept me super fueled for yoga this morning, because between the almond butter, the quinoa, and the chia seeds… I was a protein machine!
And I’ve been dying to try the oatmeal/quinoa combination. I give it an A+. The quinoa adds a really nice nuttiness and crunch to the creamy quality of the oatmeal.
The key to this meal was the small portion – if this was a big ol’ bowl of oatmeal, I would have been rolling into my yoga class this morning. Nice, small and delightful!
The green juice will happen for lunch… I swear…!
– ½ cup oats
– ¼ cup quinoa
– ¼ cup almond milk
– 2 T cacao powder
– 1 T almond butter
– Optional: 3 T pumpkin puree (yeah. I did it. And I omitted it from the title so it wouldn’t get ridiculously long.)
– Optional: 1 T chia seeds
- Boil the oats and quinoa in separate pots. For the best ratio, use double the water to cook. (1/2 cup oats : 1 cup water; ¼ cup quinoa : ½ cup water).
- Once they are fully boiled, pour the quinoa into the oats and mix.
- Add the cacao powder, almond milk, and optional pumpkin puree into the pot and mix well.
- Top with chia seeds and extra almond butter if you so desire.
- Dig in!
P.S. Stay tuned for a special TBV announcement tomorrow regarding ALMOND BUTTER and a special giveaway. Get excited!